Identification of critical ground motions for seismic performance assessment of structures (2006)
Type of ContentJournal Article
PublisherUniversity of Canterbury. Civil and Natural Resources Engineering
A method is established to identify critical earthquake ground motions that are to be used in physical testing or subsequent advanced computational studies to enable seismic performance to be assessed. The ground motion identification procedure consists of: choosing a suitable suite of ground motions and an appropriate intensity measure; selecting a computational tool and modelling the structure accordingly; performing Incremental Dynamic Analysis on a non-linear model of the structure; interpreting these results into 50th (median) and 90th percentile performance bounds; and identifying the critical ground motions that are close to these defining probabilistic curves at ground motion intensities corresponding to the design basis earthquake and the maximum considered earthquake. An illustrative example of the procedure is given for a reinforced concrete highway bridge pier designed to New Zealand specifications. Pseudodynamic tests and finite element based time history analyses are performed on the pier using three earthquake ground motions identified as: (i) a Design Basis Earthquake (10% probability in 50 years) with 90 percent confidence of non-exceedance; (ii) a Maximum Considered Event (2% probability in 50 years) representing a median response; and (iii) a Maximum Considered Event representing 90 percent confidence of non-exceedance
CitationDhakal, R.P., Mander, J.B., Mashiko, N. (2006) Identification of critical ground motions for seismic performance assessment of structures. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 35(8), pp. 989-1008.
This citation is automatically generated and may be unreliable. Use as a guide only.
KeywordsPerformance Based Earthquake Engineering (PBEE); Seismic performance assessment; Pseudodynamic test; Critical ground motions; Incremental Dynamic Analysis (IDA); Confidence bounds; Time-history analysis; Design Basis Earthquake (DBE),; Maximum Considered Earthquake (MCE)
ANZSRC Fields of Research40 - Engineering::4005 - Civil engineering::400510 - Structural engineering
40 - Engineering::4005 - Civil engineering::400506 - Earthquake engineering
40 - Engineering::4005 - Civil engineering::400502 - Civil geotechnical engineering
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Sensitivity of 1-D ground motion predictions to analysis codes and material models using KiK-net vertical arrays Meite R; Wotherspoon L; Kaklamanos J; McGann CR; Hayden C (Elsevier BV, 2020)One-dimensional (1-D) ground response analysis (GRA) predictions are highly sensitive to the analysis methods and dynamic soil models employed, contributing to significant scatter in analysis outputs. In this paper, a ...
Mitigation of seismic financial risk of reinforced concrete walls by using damage avoidance design Khare, R.K.; Dhakal, Rajesh; Mander, J.B.; Hamid, N.B.A.; Maniyar, M.M. (University of Canterbury. Civil and Natural Resources Engineering, 2007)Seismic financial risk analyses of rocking precast prestressed reinforced concrete hollow-core walls designed using the Damage Avoidance Design (DAD) philosophy and code compliant ductile monolithic walls are performed ...
Considering rupture directivity in selecting ground motion ensembles for seismic response analysis in the near-fault region Tarbali, K.; Bradley, Brendon (University of Canterbury. Civil and Natural Resources Engineering, 2015)